Before Box Critters launched, there were a few experiments where we test different parts of the game. Here is an archive of my experience in them.
Back in 2013 a new game called Lexicon Heroes was being made by HyperHippoGames (company owned by Lance). It was cancelled but the artwork was archived for later use.
This photo explains it nicely.
Here is the art found on Lexicon Heroes Twitter account.
You can also visit the fandom/wikia page for the game here to see some more photos of the game.
A few years later, RocketSnail wanted to make a 3D game like what Lexcion Heroes was going to be.
Originally, Box Critters was going to be 3D. RocketSnail posted on twitter to test out a game demo. The only thing you can do is walk around with other people. You can’t talk to them though. I did play the experement but I did not get any screenshots. Here is a photo I found online for the test.
A few months later RocketSnail said that he is rethinking Box Critters – he said it was going to be 2D instead.
A year and a bit later he started to work on the game again.
Experiment #1 – Hamsters!
In this test players can log in and walk around a room and chat with people as a hamster!
I First Signed In At: 8th February 2019 (Around 9:30 PM GMT)
Mini Updates Before Experiment 2
1) New Sprites – 17th March 2019
A mini update was added to experiment one on 17/3/19 updated the raccoon sprite from the old one to the new one. Nothing else changed.
2) RocketSnail added Viking Helmet to his profile – 17th March 2019
3) RocketSnail as a Snail – 20th March 2019
4) Everyone can access Viking Helmet – 1st April 2019
To obtain the item you would of typed /gear viking in chat.
5) Multiple Items – 5th April 2019
RocketSnail’s nickname1 account logged on with multiple items on.
6) Inventory Update – 7th April 2019
In this update you can access a blank inventory by clicking the green square at the bottom right hand corner of the game. Even if you have the Viking Helmet on it wouldnt appear in the inventory.
A few hours later the Viking Helmet appeared in the inventory.
7) Better Inventory & Some Free Clothing Items – 9th April 2019
On this day RocketSnail logged online and gave some free items to people! The most common one is the toque but some people got some other items as well. Also, the inventory icon changed to a box.
Experiment #2 – Clothing Items
On 10th April 2019 Experiment 2 released!
RocketSnail stated that there will be a free item every week. To claim the item you would type /freeitem in chat.
This is a list of what item you would of got depending on which week you typed /freeitem in chat during Experiment 2.
Week 1) Blue Toque
Week 2) Inside Out T-Shirt
Week 3) Blue Baseball Cap
Week 4) Pirate Captain Jacket
Week 5) Pot Helmet
Week 6) Science Officer
List of other items what were available with typing in a code in chat during the experiment.
1) /rocketsnail – Viking Helmet
2) /cute – Pink Toque
3) /andybulletin – Red Propeller Cap
4) /oomm – OOMM Space Suit
5) /discordcritters2k19 – Headphones
6) /boxcritters3d – White 3D Glasses
7) /boxcritterswiki – Paper Hat
8) /oommgames – OOMM Space Suit
9) /goodnight – Sleepy Cap
10) /thekeeper – Party Hat
11) /madeincanada – White Toque
12) /3dboxcritters – Black 3D Glasses
13) /bunnyhug – Blue Hoodie
14) /explore – Red Plaid Shirt
15) /greenplumber – Green Baseball Cap
16) /darkmode – Black Baseball Cap
17) /may4th – Monk Outfit
18) /duckhunter – Yellow Duck Floatie
19) /thanksmom – Pink Hoodie
/nicknames – Disable Names
/balloons – Disable Chat Balloons
/pop – See How Many Users Online Via Console
/beep – Displays: Check Your Connection Status
/darkmode – Enables Dark Mode
/freeitem – Receive Weekly Free Item
Mini Updates Before Experiment 3
1) Easter Egg Hunt – 18th April 2019
On this update an Easter Egg Hunt was available to play. There were 6 items in total you could get.
You can read the blog post that was released when the egg hunt was launched to find out more information, click here to see it.
2) Clothing Items Stay On – 3rd May 2019
In this mini update your clothing items stay on when you login and refresh.
3) Other Critters – 4th May 2019
On this day, RocketSnail (nickname1 account) and PapaD were walking around Box Critters with the Beaver critter.
4) Better Inventory – 10th May 2019
On this day, an update was released so more items can fit on the page.
Experiment #3 – Multiple Rooms
On this day, RocketSnail released some codes which enabled you to travel between the Hamster Taven and the The Bridge. The codes were:
/join bridge – Joins the The Bridge Room
/join tavern – Joins the Hamster Tavern Room
Updates Before Experiment 4
1) Lizard Critter – 17th May 2019
Later that day RocketSnail gave the lizard critter to some people to test!
2) Quests Icon – 22nd June 2019
An icon for quests was added to the game on this date.
3) Inventory System Update – 9th July 2019
On this day, the inventory changed so you can change pages to see all items.
4) Critterball Mini-Game – 11th July 2019
On this day rocket snail sent an email out to test a mini-game on critterball.herokuapp.com.